Mexican Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
|2 quarts water|
|2 tbs kosher salt|
|1 lb pinto beans, rinsed and sorted|
|2 cups chicken broth|
|1 (12 oz) bottle dark or amber Mexican beer|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|3 garlic cloves, chopped|
|4 slices cooked bacon, chopped|
|1 (10 oz) can "Rotel" tomatoes with green chilies|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp dried marjoram|
|2 tsp cumin|
|1 (4 oz) can green chilies, with juice|
|1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish|
|lime wedges and flour tortillas for serving|
- In a large container, whisk together 2 cups water and kosher salt until salt dissolves.
- Add the beans, cover and let stand overnight at room temperature. Drain and rinse beans.
- Add beans to slow cooker along with chicken broth and beer.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add onion, garlic, chopped bacon and saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt and black pepper to taste, and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add marjoram and cumin, and stir to combine. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker on high for 8 hours. When there as an hour of cooking time left, add the green chilies and cilantro, stir to combine.
- Finish cooking, taste for seasoning and serve with lime wedges and tortillas.
- Garnish with additional fresh cilantro.