Mushroom Compound Butter
|1 stick unsalted butter, softened|
|1 shallot, diced|
|1 oz mushrooms, mix varieties if desired|
|1 tbs fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 2 tsp dried , fresh is better|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs white wine|
A compound butter is just butter infused with flavorings and rolled into a log and refrigerated until ready to use. You use by cutting discs from the rolled log and melt it atop meats, fish or vegetables.
- To make the mushroom butter, melt 2 tbs of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and cook for about 5 minutes or until shallots are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring until the mushrooms are soft and are beginning to brown.
- Add the wine and stir for 30 seconds with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the remaining butter with the mushroom mixture. Pulse to combine well.
- Scoop out mixture onto wax paper or plastic wrap and for into a log, wrapping tightly. Place in the freezer and cut off coins when ready to use