|2 lbs mussels|
|1 tbs butter|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1 cup onion, diced|
|1/4 cup each red, yellow and green pepper, diced|
|1/2 cup fennel, diced|
|2 tbs garlic, chopped|
|2 tbs tomato paste|
|1/4 cup dry white wine|
|2 cups canned chopped tomatoes|
|1 tbs smoked paprika|
|1/4 cup parsley, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- In a large pot over medium heat, add butter and olive oil.
- Add onions, peppers, fennel and garlic and saute until soft. Do not brown.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until thick.
- Add wine, diced tomatoes, and paprika. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add mussels and cover pot.. Steam for about 4 minutes or until all of the mussels have opened. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Gently stir mussels to coat in the sofrito.
- Add parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread over pasta or rice.
- Makes 2 entree or 4 appetizer servings.