New England Corn Chowder
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes,diced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups half and half
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Fry bacon until just crisp. Drain and crumble into a paper towel.
- Reserve 1 tbs of bacon fat.
- Fry the onion and red pepper in the reserved bacon fat for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the peppers are slightly soft.
- Add the stock to a large sauce pan, then add the onions, peppers and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the milk and half and half along with the corn kernels, reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning then season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley