New England Corn Chowder
|6 slices thick cut bacon|
|1 onion, minced|
|1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped|
|4 medium potatoes,diced|
|2 cups chicken or vegetable stock|
|2 cups corn kernels|
|1 cup milk|
|2 cups half and half|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|fresh parsley for garnish|
- Fry bacon until just crisp. Drain and crumble into a paper towel.
- Reserve 1 tbs of bacon fat.
- Fry the onion and red pepper in the reserved bacon fat for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the peppers are slightly soft.
- Add the stock to a large sauce pan, then add the onions, peppers and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the milk and half and half along with the corn kernels, reduce heat to simmer and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning then season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley