Octoberfest Potato and Cheese Soup
|1/4 lb sliced bacon, cut into thin pieces|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|4 1/2 cups chicken stock|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 1/2 cups cheddar or cheese of your choice, grated|
|1/4 cup chopped chives|
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 2 tbs of the bacon fat and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, chicken stock, and salt and bring to a bowl.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove half the soup from the pan and puree in a food processor.
- Return the puree to the pan and over low heat add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- Serve the soup topped with the bacon and chives.