Orange Creme Caramel
|4 large oranges|
|1 3/4 cups sugar divided|
|1/4 cup water|
|3 1/4 cups whole milk|
|3 whole eggs, plus 3 egg yolks|
|raspberries strawberries or blueberries and fresh mint for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, then place 8 (6 0z) ramekins in a roasting pan. set aside.
- Zest 3 oranges and reserve zest,
- Squeeze oranges for 1 cup of juice, then strain.
- In a medium saucepan, bring juice, water and 1 1/4 cups sugar to a boil over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves, swirling gently until color turns deep amber.
- Divide directly into ramekins. Set aside.
- In another saucepan over medium heat, bring milk and zest to a boil. Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, yolks and remaining sugar.
- Stir together milk and egg mixture. Strain, then pour equally among ramekins.
- Place in the oven, then pour hot water into the pan halfway up ramekins.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until set.
- Lift ramekins onto cooling rack, then rum a sharp knife around edges to loosen.
- Cool completely, then invert ramekins onto plates.
- Garnish with fresh berries and fresh mint.