Puerto Rican Ham and Potato Fritters
|2 lbs medium potatoes, peeled and halved|
|1 tbs kosher salt|
|3/4 lb sliced boiled ham|
|5 eggs, seperated|
|vegetable oil or shortening for frying|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 tsp sugar|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
- Place potatoes in a deep pot, cover with water and stir in 1 tbs of salt.
- Cover and boil over moderate heat for 20 minutes. Drain. The potatoes will be some what firm
- Cut the cooled potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place a slice of ham between two potato slices and fasten with a toothpick and set aside.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in egg yolks, garlic, 1 tsp salt, black pepper and dried oregano.
- Dip ham and potato sandwiches into egg mixture.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a deep skillet to 350 degrees.
- Carefully lower sandwiches into hot fat, frying 1-2 minutes on each side until golden.
- Remove from oil and drain on a wire rack or paper towels.