Puerto Rican Shrimp Fritters
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs annatto oil or annatto powder
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup cooked shrimp, diced
- vegetable oil for frying
- Sift flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Add water annatto oil or powder and stir until smooth.
- Stir in onions, peppers, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Fold the shrimp into the batter.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees and carefully drop batter by tablespoons into the oil and fry until golden.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with cocktail sauce, hot mustard or hot pepper sauce