Puerto Rican Surullos (Cornbread Sticks with Cheese)
|2 cups water|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal|
|1 cup grated Machengo cheese or Edam|
- Combine water and salt in a saucepan. Heat to boiling and remove from heat. Stir in cornmeal and whisk well to combine.
- Return to stove and cook over medium heat until cornmeal mixture separates from bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat again, then fold in the cheese. Let cool.
- Heat oil to 360-375 degrees, then scoop cornmeal by spoon fulls and shape into cylinders about 3 inches long.
- Slice the sticks into hot oil and fry until golden on all sides, using a fork to roll sticks to make sure that they cook evenly.
- Drain on a wire rack or on paper towels. A wire rack is better.
- Serve warm.