Red Beans and Rice with Andouille
|1 lb dried red beans|
|1/4 cup scallion tops|
|1/4 cup chopped green pepper|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|5 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 tsp ground allspice|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1 tsp dried thyme|
|1 tsp dried basil|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1/2 lb andouille sausage|
|2 cups white rice, cooked according to package directions|
|1 stalk celery, chopped|
- Soak beans in cold water overnight.
- Drain and add enough chicken stock to cover beans in a large soup pot.
- Add all ingredients except for the sausage and rice.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 3-5 hours.
- Add more stock or water if it gets too dry. Stir occasionally.
- Cut and brown 1/2 inch slices of the sausage in a hot skillet.
- Add the sausage to the beans 1/2 hour before serving.
- Serve over rice.