Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
|1/2 cup vegetable shortening|
|1 1/2 cups sugar|
|1 or 2 oz bottle of red food coloring|
|2 tbs vanilla extract|
|2 1/2 cups sifted flour|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 cup buttermilk|
|1 tbs white vinegar|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened|
|1 stick unsalted butter, softened|
|1 lb box confectioners sugar, sifted|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|chopped pecans for garnish|
- Pre- heat the oven to 35o degrees, then flour three 8 inch cake pans.
- Beat the vegetable shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until blended.
- Stir in the food coloring and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine the flour, salt and cocoa and set aside.
- Combine the butter, milk, vinegar and baking soda in a 4 cup measuring cup, the mixture will bubble up.
- Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed after each addition until blended.
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow the layers to cook completely on wire racks before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Gradually ad the confectioners sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
- Add the vanilla, beating until well blended.
- Makes 3/1/2 cups of frosting.
- Spread the frosting between the layers and on top of the cake, then garnish with chopped pecans