Sally Ann’s Low Country Crab Rice
|2 lbs lump crabmeat|
|1 1/2 cups uncooked rice|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 strips bacon|
|1/4 cup vegetable oil|
|1 stalk celery, chopped|
|1/2 green bell pepper, chopped|
|1/2 red bell pepper, chopped|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 tbs garlic powder|
|4 tbs fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish|
- Measure the dry rice, then rinse and drain several times.
- Cook the rice according to package directions, about 20 minutes.
- Fry the bacon until crispy. When the bacon is done, remove from the pan and set aside. Crumble when cool.
- Add the oil to the bacon fat in the skillet and heat.
- Add the celery, bell pepper, and onion. Saute until the onions are clear, then add the crab and cook until the crab begins to brown, about another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the crumbled bacon, cooked rice, and garlic powder, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir constantly until evenly combined.
- Cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Recipe: courtesy of Sallie Ann Robinson.