Sesame Crusted Thai Fish Patties
|2 cups cooked small shrimp, minced|
|4 cups boneless, skinless cod, minced|
|4 scallions, minced, white and green parts|
|2 Thai or Serrano chilies, seeded and minced|
|2 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|2 tsp fresh lemon grass, minced|
|1 tsp lime zest|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 beaten egg|
|1 and 1/2 cups sesame seeds|
|canola or peanut oil for deep frying|
|romaine lettuce leaves, cilantro leaves, sliced cucumber batons and sliced chilies for garnish|
|Thai hot and sweet chili sauce for serving|
- Add the cod, shrimp, scallions, chilies, ginger, lemon grass, and lime zest, to the bowl of a food processor.
- Season with salt and pepper, then pulse to combine well.
- Remove the mixture and place in a covered bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Fill a sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- Form the fish mixture into 8 patties, dip them into the beaten egg and then coat the outside completely with sesame seeds.
- Fry in batches until golden and crispy, making sure to pay close attention to the cakes while frying, as well as turning if necessary. About 6-8 minutes
- To serve place a few romaine leaves on a serving place, and place 2 fish cakes atop.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, cucumber batons and sliced chilies.
- Serve with Thai hot and sweet chili sauce on the side.