|1 lb shell on shrimp, shells removed and reserved|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|4-6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed|
|2 tbs fresh herbs chopped (thyme, rosemary, sage etc)|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 tbs oil or unsalted butter|
|1 pint heavy cream|
|1 pint whole milk|
|1 cup shrimp stock, more as needed|
- Remove the shells from the shrimp and place them in a sauce pan and cover with water.
- Add a bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the shrimp stock through a wire mesh strainer into a large measuring cup.
- Meanwhile add the oil and flour to a large saucepan.
- Using medium heat stir to form a roux. When the rough is light tan add the onions and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the shrimp stock a little at a time, constantly stirring until smooth.
- Chop the shrimp and add to the sauce pan, then add the herbs and bay leaf.
- Add the cream and milk and continue to simmer the bisque for another 3-5 minutes.
- Allow bisque cool, then add it too a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh herbs of your choice.