Slow Cooker Beef Stew
|3 lbs stew beef, trimmed of excess fat or a chuck roast cut into 2 inch cubes, trimmed of fat|
|1 lb yukon gold potatoes, peeled and halved|
|2 large onions, peeled and quartered|
|3 stalks celery, chopped into 1 inch pieces|
|4 large garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 and 1/2 cups carrots, cut into half inch chunks|
|1 tbs fresh thyme leaves (you may substiute 1/2 tbs dry thyme) fresh is better|
|3 tbs Flour|
|3 tbs vegetable oil|
|1 cup fresh or frozen peas|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 quarts of chiken or beef stock|
- In a sauce pan using medium high heat, add the oil and once hot add the onion, garlic. Stir until slightly golden. Do not burn.
- Add the Stew beef and brown on all sides.
- Once brown add the flour, and using wooden spoon, stir constantly until combined.
- Slowly add the stock or water, while constantly stirring to make a smooth mixture.
- Add the remaining vegetables to the stock pot along with the beef mixture.
- Pour everything into the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Taste meat for tenderness along the way, and adjust seasoning if necessary.