Slow Cooker Mexican Barbacoa
|3 lbs beef shoulder or round roast, cut into 2 inch chunks|
|1 cinnamon stick|
|1 tbs cumin seeds|
|3 tsp Mexican oregano|
|2 tsp ground coffee|
|1 tsp allspice berries|
|2 tbs kosher salt|
|4 dried ancho chili peppers, stems and seeds removed|
|3 cups beef stock|
|1 onion, chopped|
|6-8 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 (6 oz) can tomato paste|
|1/4 cup red wine vinegar|
|12 soft flour and or corn tortillas|
|2 limes cut into wedges|
|sour cream, finely shredded cheddar cheese, julienne radishes, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, pico de gallo or finely sliced lettuce|
- In a heavy skillet toast cinnamon, allspice, cumin, oregano and coffee over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Cool add salt and grind in a spice grinder to a fine powder.
- Season the beef all over with spice blend.
- Cover tightly with plastic or put in a zip lock bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Put dried peppers in a pot with 3 cups beef stock over medium- high heat.
- Bring to a boil, cook 5 minutes, turn off heat and cover with a lid.
- In a slow cooker combine beef, onion, garlic, tomato paste, vinegar and chili peppers with stock.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, then on low for 5 hours or until fork tender.
- When beef is cook enough to handle, hand shred,
- Put cooking liquid and vegetable mixture in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, then combine with shredded beef.
- Serve with warm soft flour and or corn tortillas, lime wedges and optional ingredients.