Slow Cooker Steak Chili
|3 lbs bottom round roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup canola oil|
|2 large onions, diced|
|6 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 tbs ground cumin|
|1 tbs Mexican oregano|
|4 tbs chili powder|
|2 tbs brown sugar|
|1 (28 oz) can chopped tomatoes, with juice|
|1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 (4 oz) can green chilies|
|1 tbs chipolte pepper with adobo sauce, chopped|
|3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced|
|2 cups beef stock|
|Optional garnishes: avocado slices, diced green peppers, shredded cheese, diced scallions, sour cream|
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Brown beef cubes in 1 lb batches for 3-4 minutes per batch.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker after browning.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat until pan comes clean for the onions, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Stir in beef stock, cumin, oregano, chili powder, sugar, tomatoes, beans, green chilies, chipoltes, and jalapenos.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve and garnish with optional toppings and corn bread.