Southern Mustard Coleslaw
- 1 head cabbage, core removed, chopped or shredded
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise, for the dressing
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard, for the dressing
- 1/3 cup vinegar, for the dressing
- 1/3 cup sugar, for the dressing
- 1 tsp celery seeds, for the dressing
- 2/3 cup sugar, for slaw marinade
- 1/3 kosher salt, for slaw marinade
- Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce and celery seeds in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add cabbage to a large bowl and sprinkle with 2/3 cups sugar and 1/3 cup kosher salt and toss to combine.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- Transfer cabbage to a salad spinner and spin dry.
- Pour dressing over salad a little at a time, mixing as you go, until desired consistency is reached.