Spicy Jalapeno Pepper Jack Cornbread Stuffing
|4 tbs unsalted butter, plus more for the dish|
|1/4 lb bacon, diced|
|1 onion, minced|
|2 stalks celery, chopped|
|2 jalapeno peppers, (1 diced, 1 thinly sliced|
|1 tbs fresh thyme, chopped|
|1 tsp chili powder|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|3 cups chicken broth|
|2 large eggs|
|8 cups stale white bread cubes|
|6 cups crumbled corn bread|
|1 cup pepper jack cheese, diced|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, then add the onion, celery, diced jalapeno, thyme and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the white bread, corn bread, bacon and cheese, then add the broth mixture and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish, then dot with the remaining 2 tbs butter and top with the sliced jalapeno.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 20 minutes more or until golden.