Spicy Meat Stuffed Hush Puppies
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3 cups fine corn meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg beaten
- 3/4 cup bacon, chopped, ground pork or ground turkey, cooked and cooled
- 1 tbs jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, minced
This is a twist on the classic hush puppies, which adds ground meats of you choice to the mix. You can use chopped crispy bacon, cooked ground turkey or pork to stuff the hush puppies.
- Fill a deep fryer or large sauce pan 1/3 full with vegetable oil and heat to 360 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn meal, baking powder, salt, milk, water, chopped, cooled meat of your choice.
- Mix in egg and chopped onion and jalapenos, combine well.
- Cover and refrigerate batter for one hour before frying.
- Shape batter into small balls about the size of a walnut, about 1 tbs each.
- Using a long handled spoon, gently slide the hush puppies into the hot oil, frying until golden brown, turning gently to ensure even cooking. Do not overcrowd pan. Fry in batches.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon, and drain on a wire rack.