Spicy Tamarind Glazed Shrimp
|1 lb extra large shrimp|
|1 tbs canola oil|
|5 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 shallots, minced|
|3 jalapeno chilies , thinly sliced|
|2 tbs fish sauce|
|4 tbs palm sugar|
|2 tbs tamarind paste|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|juice of 1 lime|
|1/2 cup cilantro, chopped|
- Place oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and shallot and sweat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chilies and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, palm sugar, and tamarind paste and cook for 2 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved and all of the garlic and shallots are caramelized by the sauce.
- Add the shrimp and mix thoroughly, making sure to coat the shrimp.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Season with salt, pepper, and the juice of lime.
- When ready to serve, top with chopped cilantro and crispy garlic.
- Serve over rice.