Sticky Toffee Pudding
|For the pudding|
|12 oz pitted dates, chopped (about 2 cups)|
|1 cup boiling water|
|1 3/4 cups flour|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|1/2 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature|
|1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed|
|2 large eggs|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|For the toffee sauce|
|2 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 stick unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup light corn syrup|
This is a classic British dessert that is quite delicious.
- Place the chopped dates in a medium bowl.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over, stir, and let stand until cool.
- Preheat the oven to 35o degrees, then butter and flour a 9 x 9 x 2 inch metal baking pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt in another bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and beat until blended. (mixture will be grainy)
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla, then stir in flour mixture in 4 additions alternately with date mixture in 3 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Serve with toffee sauce.
- To make the toffee sauce bring 1 1/2 cups cream, sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil in a heavy sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil gently until mixture is thick and deep amber, stirring often, about 35 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat, then whisk in remaining 1 cup cream (mixture will bubble vigorously).
- Strain into medium microwavable bowl.
- Cool, cover, and refrigerate.
- Rewarm in miro wave at 15 second intervals.