Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
|12 large cabbage leaves|
|1 lb ground beef|
|1/4 cup chopped celery|
|2 tbs onions, chopped|
|1 cup cooked rice|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 medium tomato, chopped|
|1/2 cup ketchup|
|1 cup tomato sauce|
|1 tsp sugar|
|1 tsp basil leaves|
|1 cup grated cheddar cheese|
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, cook cabbage leaves for 5 minutes in boiling water.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, celery, onions and garlic, then drain excess fat.
- Add rice, salt, pepper, tomato, ketchup and egg.
- Mix well and heat through, the divide mixture equally on each cabbage leaf.
- Fold edges in, rolling filling inside each leaf, then secure with toothpicks.
- Place cabbage rolls in a 12×8 inch baking dish.
- In a small combine tomato sauce, sugar, and basil, then spoon over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking.