- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbs champagne vinegar
This ricotta has no relationship to the stuff you find at the grocery store. It is much thicker and creamier . It is very easy to make and is well worth the effort.
- Combine the milk, heavy cream, buttermilk, and salt in a heavy bottomed stainless steel pot.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring gently, until the mixture registers 185 to 190 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Reduce the heat to low. then add the vinegar and gently stir once to combine.
- Curds should form immediately.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to sit for 15 minutes, without stirring, to allow the whey to drain away from the curds.
- Gently scoop the curds into a cheesecloth lined sieve.
- Allow the cheese to drain in the refrigerator overnight.
- The cheese can be refrigerated for 3 days