Tender Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
|2 cups ap flour|
|4 tsp baking powder|
|2 tsp sugar|
|1/2 tsp cream of tartar|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|1/4 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 cup shortening or lard|
|3/4 cup buttermilk|
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening or lard until mixture resembles coarse crumbs,
- Make a well in center and add buttermilk all at once.
- Stir just until dough clings together.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead gently about 6-10 times. Less is better. If you knead too much biscuits will become tough.
- Roll out gently to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, dipping into flour in between cuts. Cut straight down and do not twist.
- Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet and bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Makes about a dozen biscuits.