|2 lbs ground chuck, cooked and drained|
|1 tbs cumin|
|1 tbs chili powder|
|1 tbs mexican oregano|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced|
|3/4 cup water|
|1 cup scallions, white and green parts, sliced thinly on a bias|
|1 (16 oz) jar salsa or make your own|
|12 (6 inch) tortillas|
|5 (4 oz) cans of green chilies|
|1 lb Monterrey jack cheese, regular or pepper jack|
|1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce|
|Shredded iceberg lettuce for garnish|
|1/2 red or orange pepper, seeded and minced, for garnish|
- Cook the ground beef using a little oil , season with salt and cook until no longer ping. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, then combine the ground beef with the spices, water and scallions and jalapenos, then stir in the salsa.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray, then place a layer of tortillas in the bottom.
- Top with a third of the green chilies, ground beef, cheese and enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layers twice, using cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.