Tostones (Fried Green Plantains)
|2 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|vegetable oil for shallow frying, about 1/2 to 1 cup of oil|
|1/2 cup kosher salt|
|1 qt water|
These tostones are green plantains that are twice fried.
- Peel then slice the plantains into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Add the water, salt and sliced plantains to a large bowl of water and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Drain the plantains and dry with paper towels.
- Heat oil using medium high heat in a large skillet and fry the plantains for about 5 minutes, turning half way through cooking.
- Let cool, then place the plantains on a flat surface and using a coffee cup or a glass with a flat bottom, press each plantain down using moderate pressure.
- Once completed refry the plantains for about 1 minute per side.
- Drain on paper towels and season to taste with kosher salt.