Venison Medallions with Juniper and Gin
|1 lb venison loin|
|3 tbs unsalted butter|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 shallot, minced|
|1 shot of gin|
|1/4 cup demi-glace or beef stock that has been slightly reduced|
|1 tsp ground juniper|
|2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped|
|1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche|
|fresh parsley for garnish, optional|
- Salt and pepper venison lightly all over and set aside for 1 hour.
- Heat butter in a large saute pan, add venison and saute for 3 to 5 minutes per side (for medium rare).
- Add shallot and saute, turn the heat off and add the gin.
- Cook alcohol down with high heat and add crushed juniper, rosemary and demi -glaze or beef stock.
- Turn off heat and whisk in sour cream and stir to combine and thicken.
- Spoon sauce over medallions and garnish with fresh parsley and chives if desired.