Venison Medallions with Juniper and Gin
- 1 lb venison loin
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 shot of gin
- 1/4 cup demi-glace or beef stock that has been slightly reduced
- 1 tsp ground juniper
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Salt and pepper venison lightly all over and set aside for 1 hour.
- Heat butter in a large saute pan, add venison and saute for 3 to 5 minutes per side (for medium rare).
- Add shallot and saute, turn the heat off and add the gin.
- Cook alcohol down with high heat and add crushed juniper, rosemary and demi -glaze or beef stock.
- Turn off heat and whisk in sour cream and stir to combine and thicken.
- Spoon sauce over medallions and garnish with fresh parsley and chives if desired.