White Beans with Spinach Puree
- 1 lb great northern beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock, more if necessary
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Sort through beans, then soak overnight, covered.
- In a large heavy pot, cover beans with chicken or vegetable stock if you prefer a vegetarian version of this dish.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the beans are tender. About 1 and 1/2 hours. Add more stock if beans become too dry.
- Drain beans and set aside, reserving about 3/4 cup of their liquid. Discard the bay leaf.
- Combine bread crumbs and garlic in a small bowl.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, heat spinach, allow to cool slightly, then squeeze our some of the water. Add oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Add spinach to the bowl of a food processor and puree the mixture.
- In a large serving bowl combine beans, bread crumbs, spinach and reserved bean liquid, being careful to not add too much liquid. Gently combine well.