January 23, 2012
- In a food processor, puree pineapple and mangoes.
- Add the nectar, pineapple juice, orange peel, liqueur and blend until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a wire mesh sieve to remove fiber and return mixture to food processor.
- While running processor slowly add cream and mix well.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
July 24, 2014
- Trim all fat from pork chops, then place in a shallow dish or plastic bag.
- Drain juice from pineapple ( you should have about 1 cup) and pour over the chops. Reserve the pineapple.
- Refrigerate the chops overnight, turning the meat occasionally.
- When ready to grill, remove pork chops from juice and discard juice.
- Season the chops with salt and pepper.
- Place the chops on a rack and grill over hot coals for 10 minutes, turning once until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- For slaw, combine the drained pineapple, onion and red pepper in a bowl.
- Refrigerate slaw overnight while chops are marinating or combine ingredients just before serving.
April 20, 2012
This is a super simple version of pineapple upside down cake that is made in a cast iron skillet If you prefer you could also use a spring form pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 10 inch iron skillet, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the sugar to the pan and stir around, then place the pineapple rings into the pan. Add enough rings to completely cover the bottom of the pan. Cook on low for 2 minutes then turn off heat.
- For the cake; In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar and sour cream.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- Add the crushed pineapple to the batter.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined.
- Remove skillet from the heat and spoon the batter over the top.
- Spread gently so batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is brown and bubbly.
- Allow cake to sit in skillet for 5 minutes .
- Place a large serving dish on the top of the skillet and carefully turn over the skillet in order to release the cake onto serving dish.
- Garnish with candied cherries if desired.
August 14, 2014
Here is a great recipe from the “Beef What’s for Dinner” folks…We tested it and made some modifications. Using a tender sirloin steak contrasted nicely with this spicy pineapple salsa. It’s a wonderful combination.
- Combine pineapple salsa ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine ketchup and hoisin sauce in another bowl and set aside.
- Cut beef into 2 inch pieces.
- Thread beef pieces evenly on to four 12 inch metal skewers. Season the kabobs evenly with cracked black pepper and kosher salt.
- Place kabobs on rack in broiler so surface of beef in 3 to four inches from heat.
- Brush beef generously with the hoisin sauce mixture.
- Broil 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once and brushing with the remaining sauce mixture.
- Serve kabobs over rice topped with the pineapple salsa.
Note: You may also cook the kabobs over a charcoal fire to get some great smoke flavor.
March 18, 2012
This marmalade goes well with chicken, fish or pork.
- Cut crown from pineapple. cut into half, then into quarters
- Cut fruit from the shell. Trim of the tough core and dice pineapple.
- Cook onions in butter using medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add vinegar and sugar and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and add the pineapple and seasonings. Mix well.
June 7, 2014
Pineapple cooked over hot charcoal is delicious, especially flavored with honey and ginger.
- Get your grill very hot.
- Cut off both ends of the pineapple and discard, then slice into about 3/4 inch rounds.
- Remove the core, then pare the outer skin, removing all dark bits.
- Vigorously whisk together the honey, water and ginger.
- Brush both sides of the pineapple with the glaze and grill over high heat for 3-5 minutes per side.
- Turn carefully by sliding a spatula underneath.
- Be sure to watch carefully, as the glaze can go from a nice caramel color to black very quickly.
June 22, 2014
Pineapple and Zucchini is an unusual combination but absolutely delicious when pared with coconut, cinnamon and sugar.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- In a second bowl, combine the oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture, zucchini and pineapple to the flour mixture and beat on low until well blended.
- The batter will be stiff and dry, but it will moisten as you mix it.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until the cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting, combine the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Beat at a medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla, just until smooth.
- Add a splash of pineapple juice if desired, then spread over the cooled cake.
March 7, 2012
A perfect healthy dish that is ideal for a party or small gathering.
- Slice the pineapple lengthwise through leaves and pineapple, keeping the greenery intact.
- Carefully cut out the fruit, reserving some for another occasion.
- Fill pineapple half with several scoops of sherbet.
- Decorate and surround with fresh fruit.
- Top with toasted coconut and almonds.
January 27, 2012
This chicken salad use pasta shells along with pineapples, grapes and cheddar cheese along with a creamy dressing.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse, drain and cool.
- Melt butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan.
- Add chicken and cook until browned. Cool.
- In a large bowl combine the pasta shells, chicken, and grapes.
- Drain the pineapple chunks and reserve 2 tbs of juice.
- Add the pineapple chunks to the pasta.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, 2 tbs of pineapple juice. Pour dressing over the pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper and gently mix well.
August 16, 2013
- In a large pitcher add brewed tea along with 2 cups of peach nectar, mix well.
- Chill, then pour in glasses over ice and garnish with mint.