|2 and 1/2 lbs of thin sliced round steak|
|4 tbs butter, divided|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1/2 lb ground veal|
|1/2 cup fresh rye bread crumbs|
|1/4 cup chopped parsley|
|2 tbs capers|
|1 tsp marjoram|
|1/2 tsp kosher salt|
|1/2 tsp black pepper|
|3 tbs Dijon mustard|
|2 dill pickles, cut lengthwise into 8 slices|
|8 slices bacon, cut in half|
|flour for dredging|
|1 cup beef stock|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|1/2 cup tomato puree|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
This recipe is a round steak stuffed with a savory filling.
- Pound beef with a meat mallet of heavy bottomed pan to about 1/4 inch thick, then trim meat into rectangles about 3×5 inches. You should have 12-15 pieces.
- Heat 2 tbs of the butter in a skillet and saute onion until tender. Add veal and cook until not longer pink.
- In a bowl, combine the onion and veal mixture with bread crumbs, parsley, capers, marjoram salt and pepper. Blend well.
- Spread each beef slice with a little mustard the place a heaping tbs of filling and 1 piece of pickle in the center and roll.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the roll and tie with a string.
- Dredge in flour. Any left over filling can be added to the sauce.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbs of butter in a heavy skillet and brown the Roulade on all sides.
- Combine the beef stock, wine, tomato puree and any leftover filling and add to the pan.
- Cook covered for about 1 and 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove the Roulade from the pan and add to a platter and remove string.
- Slim fat from gravy.
- If desired, blend sour cream and simmer, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Pour gravy over Roulade. Serve with pasta or rice.