Peas and Bacon
- 1 lb fresh or frozen peas
- 4 slices of thick sliced bacon
- 6 shallots, sliced into quarters
- 2 tbs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
As spring time approaches we are waiting on the edge of our seats for the first fresh spring time peas..Fresh peas are a spring time gift and should not be wasted…Buy more than you need, blanch them for 30 seconds in boiling water. Then place then in an ice bath and into zip lock freezer bags and straight into the freezer.This recipe highlights the use of fresh peas. If fresh peas are not available you can use frozen peas.
- Chop the bacon in a dice.
- In a saute pan fry bacon until slightly crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Remove bacon fat from the pan and reserve for another use.
- In the saute pan add the olive oil. When hot add the shallots. peas, and bacon.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until shallots are slightly tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and fresh thyme.