- 2 lbs of red potatoes, peeled and grated (do not use baking potatoes)
- 1/4 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs parsley
- 1/4 Gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is delicious combination that you can make in about 40 minutes..Perfect as a side dish.
- Cook the potatoes in their skins in boiling salted water until just tender.
- Drain and let cool.
- Chop the bacon and scallions.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick saute pan. Add the bacon, scallions, garlic and fry using medium heat until the bacon begins to get a little crispy.
- Peel and grate the potatoes on a box grater.
- Add to the pan and cook for several minutes, mixing well with the bacon and scallions.
- Pat the mixture into a flat cake, so that it begins to stick together. Continue cooking over medium heat until the underside is browned.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the potato cake, then slice thin slice of cheese over the top.
- Place pan under a broiler and cook until well browned and bubbling.
- Serve wedges straight from the pan.