Savory Oxtail Soup
|4 lbs oxtails|
|2 quarts wster|
|2 tbs fat reserved from broth|
|1 onion chopped|
|1 cup carrots, diced|
|1 cup celery, diced|
|1/2 red bell pepper, diced|
|3 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed|
|1 (15 oz) can chopped tomatoes|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|2 tbs chives|
|2 tbs tomato paste|
|1/2 cup beef stock|
|1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup frozen green beans|
|1/4 cup frozen peas|
|1/4 cup sliced okra|
- Roast the oxtails in a preheated 400 degree oven in a shallow pan for 30-45 minutes or until well browned.
- Put the oxtails and browned bits in a stock pot with the water and cook for 3-4 hours over medium heat until tender.
- Remove the oxtails and let cool until you can handle it and remove the meat and discard the fat and bones.
- Chill the meat and the broth separately overnight.
- The next day the fat will lift off the broth and the meat can be cut in smaller pieces easily.
- Reserve 2 tbs of fat from the broth and heat it in a stock pot.
- Add the onion carrot, celery, bell pepper and garlic.
- When mostly tender, add the reserved meat and broth, barley, tomatoes, parsley chives, tomato paste, beef stock and red pepper flakes.
- Taste broth for seasoning, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beans, peas and okra and barley and simmer for about 1 hour until barley is tender.