Caribbean Coconut Rice and Beans
- 3 and 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup boiled ham, coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh hot pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 strips of bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup cooked small red beans or kidney beans
- Pour 1/2 cup coconut milk into a heavy sauce pan with a tight fitting lid.
- Add the ham, bacon, hot pepper, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro and salt to taste.
- Cook, stirring over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture is well blended.
- Stir in the rice, beans and the remaining 3 cups of coconut milk.
- Stir gently, then cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.