Lima Beans with Smoked Meat and Garlic
|1 (1 lb) bag of dry large Lima beans|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|4 cups of water|
|4 cups of chicken stock (you may find the recipe for home made chicken stock by using our search engine)|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|1 ham hock or soaked turkey leg.or several turkey wings|
- Add Lima beans to and large covered sauce pan with 4 cups of water. Make sure the beans are covered by at least 2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a high simmer, partially covered for 1 hour.
- Check frequently to make sure beans have enough liquid.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Add ham hock or turkey meat
- Add chicken stock as needed., until all chicken stock has been added.
- Cook on simmer for another hour…Beans should be starting to get very tender.
- Add white wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Test beans for tenderness.
- If desired you may remove meat and let cool then remove meat from the bone and add to the beans.
- Add parsley and mix well.