Pilau Indian Curried Fried Rice
|1/4 cup butter|
|1 lb of chicken breast, cut into chunks|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 clove garlic, minced|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|1/2tsp ground coriander|
|1 tsp fresh ginger, minced|
|1/2 tsp turmeric|
|1/2 tsp cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp red pepper flakes|
|kosher salt and crushed black pepper to taste|
|1 cup long grain jasmine rice|
|1/4 tsp saffron,soaked in 1/2 cup of water|
|1 and 1/2 cups boiling water|
|1/3 cup raisins|
|1/3 cup green peas|
|1/4 cup cashews|
This an Indian version of fried rice. Full a flavor with green peas, cashews, raisins and curry spices.
- Heat butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the chicken and stir fry until no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper, salt and pepper.Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and cook another 5 minutes, stirring until rice is golden and all the butter is absorbed.
- Add the saffron in water along with boiling water.Cover and place on low heat for 15 or 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add raisins, peas and nuts.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.