Italian Tripe Stew
|1 and 1/2 lbs honey comb tripe, washed|
|3 quarts water|
|6 tbs olive oil|
|2 large onions, chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, pressed|
|1 large stalk celery, minced|
|3 large carrots, minced|
|1 cup lightly packed fresh parsley|
|1 large can Italian plum tomatoes|
|1 (6 oz) can tomato paste|
|3 tsp dry oregano|
|1 (14 and 1/2 oz) beef broth|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This method delivers melt in you mouth tripe in a rich tomato sauce flavored with aromatic vegetables.
- Rinse tripe and place in a large stock pot and cover with water.
- Cover and bring to a boil, the reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 2 hours or until the tripe is tender.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan using medium heat, then add the onions, garlic, celery and carrots.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft and tender, but do not brown.
- Stir in parsley and tomatoes and break up tomatoes with a potato masher.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook sauce using medium high heat, stirring frequently, and reduce sauce to about 4 cups. Set aside.
- Drain cooked tripe and when cool enough to handle cut into slivers about 1/4 inch wide.
- Mix tripe into sauce, taste for seasoning and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Add the tripe stew to a 2 quart casserole dish and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until top is slightly crusty and browned.