Creole Snapper Soup with Sherry
- 2 lbs turtle meat, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 cup celery, diced
- kosher salt and fresh crack black pepper to taste
- 2 cups onions , diced
- 1 and 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 small bunch of chopped parsley
- 1 quart of beef stock Food So Good Mall Beef Stock Recipe
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 shot of sherry for each bowl of soup
OK, I know many of us have never tried turtle meat and we don’t understand how absolutely delicious it is. In the south turtle meat is a staple of the Creole table. This is an authentic recipe that uses a shot of sherry in each bowl of soup to enhance the flavor which leads to an incomparable taste experience. Turtle meat may be hard to find, however there are many online sources. You may also prepare this recipe with chicken. Try Exotic Meat Market
- Make the roux. In a heavy sauce pan melt the butter then add the flour and stir continuously until the roux gets golden brown.
- The roux should be stirred constantly so it cooks evenly and doesn’t burn.
- When the roux reaches the desired color add the vegetables and turtle meat and cook until the meat is brown and the vegetables are clear.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- In a stock pot simmer the beef stock.
- When boiling add the mixture from the sauce pan and stir until soup is mixed and the roux is smooth.
- Simmer the soup until the turtle becomes tender.
- Add the lemon juice and parsley.
- Ladle soup into bowls along with a shot of sherry along side.
- When eating the soup, pour in a shot of sherry and eat.