Szechuan Cucumber Appetizer with Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, cut length wise with seeds removed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs cider vinegar
- 1 tsp peanut or canola oil
- 1 tbs red pepper flakes
Szechuan Chinese cooking is typically spicy. When you add spicy flavors cool ingredients like cucumbers you gain a wonderful balance of flavor. If you don’t like spicy eliminate the red pepper. We use a teqnique of curing the cucumbers in salt for several hours, then rinsing, which makes them extra crunchy. Serves 6.
- Peel cucumbers then cut in half length wise.
- With a spoon remove seeds.
- Cut cucumbers into strips about 4 inches long.
- Place the cucumber in a glass dish and sprinkle with salt.
- Let cucumbers stand for 4 hours, then drain and rinse well.
- In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place cucumbers in a glass bowl and cover with the sauce and gently mix.