|3 cups of shredded potatoes, rinsed and squeezed dry|
|1/2 cup of grated onions|
|1/4 cup canola oil|
|1 tbs fresh chives|
|3 tbs flour|
|4 eggs, beaten|
|1 tbs fresh chives, chopped|
|1 small bunch of scallions, chopped into rings|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a classic potato pancake recipe that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes start to finish. They are great served with savory dishes and are equally delicious served with apple sauce.
- Using a food processor or box grater shred potatoes.
- Soak potatoes in cold water for several minutes the using paper towels squeeze dry.
- Grate onion on box grater.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, onions, flour, chives and beaten eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently mix well.
- In a large non stick saute pan, using medium heat add the canola oil.
- Form the potato mixture into round cakes, slightly larger than a golf ball.(if desired you may make cakes larger or smaller
- Once oil is hot place the round cakes in the oil and press down with a spatula to form a flat cake.
- Do not over crowd pan.
- Fry cakes for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Drain on paper towels, and place the cakes on a platter and garnish with scallions.