Amish Shoo-fly Pie
- 1 and 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- powdered sugar for sprinling
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pastry shell
This is a classic Amish recipe that includes sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, butter and molasses. It is called Shoo-fly mainly because when the Amish cooks set this pie out on the window ledge to cool they would have to shoo the fly’s away.
- Mix together the four, sugar, salt and spices.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix together baking soda and molasses, and immediately stir in boiling water.
- Stir in 1 and 1/3 cups of the crumb mixture.
- Turn into pastry shell.
- Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup of the crumb mixture over top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cool and serve.