Sweet Onions and Proscuitto on Herb Toast
|4 tbs butter|
|3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced|
|1 tbs fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme|
|24 cocktail rye bread slices|
|1/4 lb thinly sliced prosciutto, slivered|
|1/4 lb of mild goat cheese, crumbled|
- In a large saute pan, melt 2 tbs of butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook , stirring often, until golden. About 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tbs of butter in a small pan and stir in the thyme and set aside.
- Place bread slices in a single layer on 2 large baking sheets.
- Broil 4 inches below heat until lightly browned.
- Turn and brush with butter mixture, and continue broiling until until golden. About 2 to 4 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Add prosciutto and cheese to onions and stir until cheese has melted.
- Spread evenly on bread.
- Arrange on a serving platter.