|1 cup brown lentils|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 clove garlic, crushed|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1 small leak, finely sliced|
|1 small carrot, grated|
|1 cup fresh bread crumbs|
|2 egg yolks|
|2 tbs cilantro, chopped|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|tomato and lettuce for garnish|
|4 -6 sesame seed hamburger buns,toasted|
- Place lentils and bay leaf in a sauce pan, cover with water and bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and discard the bay leaf.
- Combine half the cooked lentils with the onion and garlic in a food processor and process to smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix with remaining lentils, leek, carrot, bread crumbs, egg yolks and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into patties.
- Heat some oil in a non stick saute pan and fry the burgers in batches until browned on both sides, adding more oil if necessary.
- Drain on paper towels and serve on hamburger buns.