Indian Lamb Tika
|1 lb lamb fillet|
|2 scallions chopped|
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tbs ground nuts, almonds, cashews or peanuts
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp garam masala or curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs fresh mint, chopped
- To prepare the marinade, put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well to mix.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup of the mixture in a separate bowl to use as a dipping sauce.
- Cut the lamb fillet into small pieces and put in the bowl of a food processor along with the scallions.
- Process, pulsing until the meat is finely chopped. Add 3 tbs of the marinade and pulse again.
- Test to see if the mixture holds together by pinching a little between your finger tips.
- Add a little more marinade if necessary, but do not make the mixture too wet and soft.
- With moisten palms, form the meat mixture into slightly oval-shaped balls measuring about 1 and 1/2 inches long, and arrange them in a shallow dish.
- Spoon over the remaining marinade, cover and chill the meatballs in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Preheat a grill or broiler. If using a broiler line a baking sheet with foil.
- Thread each meatball on a pre soaked skewer and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Grill or broil for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden on all sides.
- Serve with the reserved marinade as a dipping sauce.