Baby Golden Beets and Green Beans
|8 each baby golden beets, peeled and cut in half|
|4 oz green beans, ends snipped, cut into 1 inch on bias|
|1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 tbs shallot, minced|
|1/2 tbs kosher salt|
|1 pinch white pepper|
|2 quarts water|
This was served at the 2013 Presidential Inauguration:
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add 1/2 tbs kosher salt.
- Place beets into water and allow to cook for 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove beets using a strainer and set in a bowl.
- Allow water to return to a boil and gently add the green beans for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Remove the beans from the pot using a strainer and add to the bowl with the beets.
- Place olive oil in a saute’ pan on medium heat, add the shallots to cook until tender.
- Add the beats and beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.