Haitian White Fish Calalou
- 2 oz salt pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 slices bacon, choped
- 3/4 lb white fish fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup ap flour
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1/2 lb Callalo or Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- In a large saute pan add the salt pork and bacon and fry until crisp. Remove from the pan.
- Dust the fish with the flour, then saute in the fat remaining in the pan until golden on both sides.
- Transfer the fish with any fat and any bits of salt pork to a large heavy sauce pan.
- Add the okra, greens, thyme, bay leaf, stock, salt and pepper and simmer gently for about 1/2 hour.
- Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon and salt pork.