|1 lb hot red chili peppers|
|1/4 cup kosher salt|
This is a very spicy but delicious preparation. The salt breaks down the chilies into almost a paste. If used sparingly it will heighten the flavor in many dishes, and will keep for months in the refrigerator.
- Wash the chilies thoroughly. Dry them completely.
- Sterilize a jar and lid with boiling water or by running it through your dishwasher with a heat cycle.
- Make certain it dries thoroughly either in the air or in the dishwasher. Do not use a paper towel or cloth to dry it directly.
- Discard the stems of the chilies and chop the roughly. Do not remove the seeds.
- Place the chopped chilies into the jar with three tbs of the salt and with a clean fork, stir thoroughly to combine the salt evenly among the chopped chilies.
- When the salt is mixed in, level the top of the chilies, and sprinkle the rest of the salt over them, then tightly cap the jar with the lid and store, unopened in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.
- After opening, keep in the refrigerator, where it will keep for months.