Spanish Salmorejo Soup
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz spanish ham or prosciutto
- 1 (8oz) stale baguette
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 8 (oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- kosher salt to taste
- Hard boil the eggs and place in ice water to cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut off the hard crust from the baguette, then cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Pour about 1/4 inch water into a large baking dish.
- Add the bread slices and allow bread to soak for about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze excess water out of slices and place in a blender or food processor.
- Peel and mince garlic and place in the food processor.
- Peel tomatoes and remove seeds, then add to the food processor along with the vinegar, then process until smooth.
- With motor running, slowly pour in the oil, and continue until very smooth. If mixture is too thick pour in a little water with motor running.
- When ready to serve, dice the ham, peel and quarter the eggs.
- Pour soup into four bowls and sprinkle ham over the bowls, then add to egg quarters to each bowl.