Spanish Salmorejo Soup
|2 oz spanish ham or prosciutto|
|1 (8oz) stale baguette|
|1 large clove garlic|
|2 lbs ripe tomatoes|
|8 (oz) extra virgin olive oil|
|1/2 cup red wine vinegar|
|kosher salt to taste|
- Hard boil the eggs and place in ice water to cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut off the hard crust from the baguette, then cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Pour about 1/4 inch water into a large baking dish.
- Add the bread slices and allow bread to soak for about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze excess water out of slices and place in a blender or food processor.
- Peel and mince garlic and place in the food processor.
- Peel tomatoes and remove seeds, then add to the food processor along with the vinegar, then process until smooth.
- With motor running, slowly pour in the oil, and continue until very smooth. If mixture is too thick pour in a little water with motor running.
- When ready to serve, dice the ham, peel and quarter the eggs.
- Pour soup into four bowls and sprinkle ham over the bowls, then add to egg quarters to each bowl.