Easy Clam Chowder
- 24 large clams (quahogs)
- 1/2 lb salt pork, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups raw potatoes, cubed
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dill
- pinch of thyme
- 2 cups heavy cream
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Open clams over a bowl and reserve juice.
- Measure juice and add enough water to equal 3 cups
- In a large sauce pan, saute the salt pork over low heat until crisp and golden.
- Pour off all but 1 tbs of fat.
- Saute the onion in the pan drippings until translucent.
- Add the potatoes and clam liquid and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Skim fat if necessary.
- Chop the clams and add to the pan along with the cream, dill, thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer soup for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.